Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pete 'n Penney


On a rainy day in March of 2008 I was blessed with a miracle when a wet and hungry little brown and white boy showed up at my door step. It was love at first sight. I took the hungry boy in and from the moment he walked inside it was obvious that he had stumbled upon his forever home. I named him Peter, but what I should have named him was shadow because since that rainy day in March he has never left my side. He follows me everywhere I go, no matter where I go; I am beginning to wonder if I will ever have privacy when I pee again!



To some this may sound pathetic, but I am honest when I say that my American Bulldog, Petey, is my best friend. We even have best friend key chains; mine on my keys and his on his collar. Nothing makes me happier then when I come home to his wagging tail and wiggly excited body. He is the apple of my eye.


There has never been a time when I thought that I would want to add another pup to my life. What’s the point? No dog could ever compare to my man Pete! Well let me tell you, I was wrong., because on June 19, 2010 I found a pure white little girl. Just as it was for Pete, this little girl was love at first site. I went to visit her after she was found lost and hungry then, sheltered at the A.N.N.A shelter. While petting her through the cage as she excitedly licked my fingers, a worker informed me that she was 100% deaf. Learning of her impairment I knew that I had to have her; that Pete and I had to have her. She needed us. We had to help this poor little girl. Little did she know, from that moment she too had found her forever home.


I couldn’t take her right away though; I had to have time to warn Pete. I know that sounds stupid, but I had to prepare. I spent the next two days obsessing about this little girl. Could I do it? Could I raise a deaf dog? Could I raise two dogs? Could I share my love equally? Could I train her? Could I afford them? Would Pete resent me? But then I thought: Did it matter? I was already in love, and with love anything is possible. Right?


Monday June 21st finally arrived! I was bringing home my girl, our girl. I bought her a new bright pink collar and leash and arrived 45 minutes before the shelter opened and paced outside of their door. I just wanted to hold her. Finally the moment came; I could barely sign my name or sit still enough to listen to the adoption information. I just wanted to hold my girl.


The ride home was hilarious she kept trying to stick her head between the puppy gate in back of my jeep. I couldn’t drive home fast enough, she needed to meet Pete. He was going to love her! Right? Wrong. HE WAS HORRIFIED! Oh my goodness, what have I done? I broke his heart.


At first reaction to her he did his “I’m going to attack this intruder” stance, and then when he saw me petting her he fell to pieces in a huge trembling mess. I had traumatized my boy. He just lay at my feet crying, he thought had been replaced! It took about an hour before he calmed down, but he eventually did. He eventually fell in love with her, just as I had.


We named our little girl Penney. Pete and Penney- could that sound any more perfect?!


As the two of them were wrestling yesterday, I decided to put all of Penney’s papers away with Pete’s. Just to see I decided to compare the two’s first vet visit papers. Hand written on Penney’s under the ‘ears’ category was- “deaf.” Hand written on his under the ‘teeth’ category on Pete’s was “sever under-bite.” My poor babies.


Pete has taken on the role of big brother like a champ. He lets her jump all over him, lets her bite at his ears and sit on him when he’s sleeping. It amazes me, but I know that he senses her hearing impairment because he is constantly looking behind him to make sure she’s following. It’s as though he knows he’s suppose to guide her.


As perfect as they are though, they are equally as devilish. I have only had Penney for three days and the two of them have managed to make their share of messes. I came home from work yesterday to Penney in her kennel covered in poo. She went, and then decided to roll in it? I know ewww. Letting her out of course did not go smoothly. Pete apparently thought it would be funny to play. He jumped right on her, next thing I knew, I had two poopy dogs wrestling. The next thing they knew, they were in the bath.


As much of a challenge as this is going to be, I feel as though my heart has done it again, it has guided me in the right direction and has found me another best friend. I am so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Kelly! Congrats and I'm glad all your hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete